Monday 23 November 2009

Sociology

Why have I been so quiet on the blog?

Sociology has consumed my life.

My involvement in the Sociology affair began on the 28th August when I met with the Head of the Review Group. It quickly became apparent to me that things weren't adding up, and I soon uncovered the fact that students were at this stage unaware of the review and how this had happened. Since then I have implored the Review Group to give students another chance to have their input.




I've been in contact with the students every few weeks to keep them updated on my actions. Since the news broke two Tuesdays ago I've been working more or less non-stop on Sociology. I was at both the meetings where the proposals were explained to students, and straight after each I held meetings between them and the other Senate Reps for them to give us their view and inform our lobbying. I've been in constant contact with the Student Reps.



My line on the protest has been that students can organise that themselves, they don't need my help; I felt my efforts were best concentrated behind the scenes lobbying people I had access to and they didn't. Since that Tuesday I have met with the Head of the College of Social Sciences, the College's Head of Learning and Teaching, departmental staff, the Registrar and Secretary of the University, the Uni's Head of Finance, the Pro Vice Chancellor for Academic Quality and Students, and the Vice Chancellor, and we have drawn up a framework for the consultation period that will follow, with a level of student involvement unprecedeted in its breadth and depth. This framework was confirmed at Senate last Wednesday, where myself and the other Senate Reps made the chamber very aware of exactly what students thought of the proposals and where it should go from here. In addition to this we have had it confirmed that closure will not be the only option the table. We have got to a stage now where all of the six options outlined in the report, from keeping the status quo through to full closure, are now back on the table.


This work was supported by the President who joined me in much of this and lobbied through his channels too.

From here, the proposal to go into consultation goes to University Council this Thursday. The decision on what to do with the department will not be taken until April and there is no certainity that the debate at that stage will even involve closure.
 
COUNCIL WILL NOT BE DECIDING ON THURSDAY WHETHER TO CLOSE THE DEPARTMENT.
 
Hope this clears some things up. If anyone wants more info, please leave me a comment or drop me an email at b.jones@guild.bham.ac.uk
 
Cheers!
 

1 comment:

  1. It is true that the very final decision won't be taken until April. But there is serious (and I think reasonable) concern that by that time it will be too late for a reversal of the existing decision. I think it would be reasonable to conclude that the attempt to put off the decision until April is part of a strategy to seek to quieten protest at the moment with the hope that things will die down in the meantime. We must demand that Council reject (not consult on) the review on Thursday. The review has no backing of students or staff. It was carried out in a highly questionable manner. And it has no clear rationale.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and suggestions and getting debates going- that's why the blog's here!

But if you want to be anonymous, please give yourself a random name rather than leaving it blank.

If you leave the field blank, you'll be listed as "Anonymous", and that makes debates impossible to follow- no fun for anyone.

So get naming! :)